Arizona Gas Prices Top $3, Higher Than National Average
Get Expert Advice To Maximize Mileage
(PHOENIX)– Drivers in Arizona are paying 20 cents more per gallon than the national average, according to AAA Arizona. It’s even worse in Maricopa County where the average price per gallon is $3.11 (April 23) compared to $2.85 nationally.
While Phoenix drivers can’t control issues at several California refineries that are crimping supplies, they can take the following steps to maximize mileage:
- Slow down: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, each 5 miles per hour you drive over 50 mph is like paying an extra 20 cents per gallon.
- Avoid sudden starts and stops: f you see a red light, ease up and coast rather than wait to brake. When the light turns green, gently accelerate. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) can lower your gas mileage by roughly 15 to 30 percent at highway speeds and 10 to 40 percent in stop-and-go traffic.
- Lighten the load: Hauling cargo on your roof increases wind resistance and lowers fuel economy. You may also want to get the junk out of your trunk.
- Avoid excessive idling: Turn off your engine when you’re parked. Idling can use a quarter to a half-gallon of fuel per hour, depending on your engine size and air conditioner use.
- Use cruise control: this helps you maintain a steady speed on highways.
- Check your tires: properly inflated tires can improve fuel economy up to 3 percent. Follow the levels recommended by the automaker.
- Keep up to date on maintenance. A dirty air filter restricts the flow of air in the engine, which lowers performance.
NARPRO (Neighborhood Auto Repair Professionals)
The Neighborhood Auto Repair Professionals (NARPRO) helps car owners find skilled and honest car repair shops. NARPRO only recommends independent, family-owned, full-service auto repair shops that have passed 26 rigorous tests. Visit www.NARPRO.com to find recommended shops near work or home. NARPRO is the easiest way to find an honest mechanic in the Valley.